You are here
Mormons, Scripture, and the Ancient World: Studies in Honor of John L. Sorenson
|Title||Mormons, Scripture, and the Ancient World: Studies in Honor of John L. Sorenson|
|Year of Publication||1998|
|Series Editor||Bitton, Davis|
|Number of Pages||519|
|Publisher||Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies|
|Keywords||Ancient America; Ancient Near East; Anthropology; Archaeology; Kingship; Mesoamerica; Scholarship|
This multidisciplinary volume of essays was written by colleagues and former students of John L. Sorenson as a tribute to his lifetime of contributions to our understanding of Book of Mormon and anthropological scholarship.
The contributing authors present their original research findings on such diverse topics as nineteenth-century Mormon funeral sermons, the question of Nephite kingship, the Isaiah commentaries in the Book of Mormon, early Mormon publishing efforts in the Pacific Mission, and evidences of transoceanic diffusion in pre-Columbian times.
Table of Contents
Davis Bitton | pp. ix-xliv
Steven L. Olsen | pp. 3-26
Davis Bitton | pp. 27-50
Parley P. Pratt and the Pacific Mission: Mormon Publishing in "That Very Questionable Part of the Civilized World"
David J. Whittaker | pp. 51-84
James B. Allen | pp. 85-119
R. Lanier Britsch | pp. 121-148
Noel B. Reynolds | pp. 151-189
Daniel C. Peterson | pp. 191-243
Louis C. Midgley | pp. 245-276
Garold N. Davis | pp. 277-302
Stephen C. Jett | pp. 307-350
Pre-Columbian American Sunflower and Maize Images in Indian Temples: Evidence of Contact between Civilizations in India and America
Carl L. Johannessen | pp. 351-389
John W. Welch | pp. 391-444
Festivals as Context for Exchange in the Great Basin-Columbia Plateau Region of Western North America
Joel C. Janetski | pp. 445-478
David J. Whittaker | pp. 479-502
Items in the BMC Archive are made publicly available for non-commercial, private use. Inclusion within the BMC Archive does not imply endorsement. Items do not represent the official views of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or of Book of Mormon Central.
Table of Contents
- Baptized, Consecrated, and Sealed: The Covenantal Foundations of Mormon Religious Identity
- Mormon Funeral Sermons in the Nineteenth Century
- Parley P. Pratt and the Pacific Mission: Mormon Publishing in "That Very Questionable Part of the Civilized World"
- The Rise and Decline of the LDS Indian Student Placement Program, 1947-1996
- Mormon Intruders in Tonga: The Passport Act of 1922
- Nephite Kingship Reconsidered
- Nephi and His Asherah: A Note on 1 Nephi 11:8-23
- A Singular Reading: The Maori and the Book of Mormon
- Pattern and Purpose of the Isaiah Commentaries in the Book of Mormon
- Resist-Dyeing as a Possible Ancient Transoceanic Transfer
- Pre-Columbian American Sunflower and Maize Images in Indian Temples: Evidence of Contact between Civilizations in India and America
- Doubled, Sealed, Witnessed Documents: From the Ancient World to the Book of Mormon
- Festivals as Context for Exchange in the Great Basin-Columbia Plateau Region of Western North America
- A Bibliography of the Published and Unpublished Works of John Leon Sorenson
Mormons, Scripture, and the Ancient World: Studies in Honor of John L. Sorenson, Edited by Davis Bitton. Provo, UT: Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies, 1998.
Get the latest updates on Book of Mormon topics and research for free