You are here
King Benjamin’s Speech: "That Ye May Learn Wisdom"
|Title||King Benjamin’s Speech: "That Ye May Learn Wisdom"|
|Year of Publication||1998|
|Series Editor||Welch, John W., and Stephen D. Ricks|
|Number of Pages||661|
|Publisher||Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies|
|Keywords||King Benjamin; Speech; Wisdom|
For readers of the Book of Mormon, King Benjamin’s speech is a treasure trove of inspiration, wisdom, eloquence, and spiritual insight. King Benjamin’s Speech: “That Ye May Learn Wisdom” is the most substantial collection of studies ever to focus exclusively on this landmark address.
The contributors examine this speech in the multifaceted contexts in which it was delivered: as a classic speech of a departing leader near the time of his death, as the focus of an annual festival season mandated anciently under the law of Moses, as part of a covenant renewal ceremony delivered within the sacred precinct of the Nephite temple in Zarahemla, and as preparation for the coronation of a new king.
Historical and linguistic tools and information are employed in these essays to help the reader to better grasp the speech’s historical setting, its doctrinal implications, its literary qualities, its influence then and now, and its overall brilliance. This book contains the complete text of the speech along with detailed notes, cross-references, textual commentary, and a select bibliography.
Table of Contents
Items in the BMC Archive are made publicly available for non-commercial, private use. Inclusion within the BMC Archive does not imply endorsement. Items do not represent the official views of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or of Book of Mormon Central.
Table of Contents
- King Benjamin's Sermon: A Manual for Discipleship
- Benjamin, the Man: His Place in Nephite History
- Benjamin's Speech: A Masterful Oration
- Benjamin's Sermon as a Traditional Ancient Farewell Address
- Assembly and Atonement
- King Benjamin's Speech in the Context of Ancient Israelite Festivals
- Benjamin's Speech as a Prophetic Lawsuit
- Kingship, Coronation, and Covenant in Mosiah 1–6
- Benjamin and the Mysteries of God
- Benjamin's Covenant as a Precursor of the Sacrament Prayers
- Parallelism and Chiasmus in Benjamin's Speech
- The Use of King Benjamin's Address by Latter-day Saints
- Appendix: Complete Text of Benjamin's Speech with Notes and Comments
Get the latest updates on Book of Mormon topics and research for free